Here are 15 things I love about collaboration.
- I get to feel surprise when my collaborators offer new twists on a thought. I feel so alive when I’m surprised!
- Collaboration is often lots of fun.
- It heightens my sense of belonging. I get to matter to someone else. Collaboration can be an antidote for loneliness!
- Collaborating increases my sense of accountability to get things done. I am motivated to not let others down.
- Collaboration brings talents and skills my way that really help to offset where I’m not particulary motivated or strong.
- Things can be messy in a collaboration as ideas expand and build. Messiness is a path to creativity for me. I enjoy the time of not knowing -when the mix of ideas is swimming around – before a sure path emerges. Check out Keith Sawyer’s book called Group Genius to read more on what power there is in this mess!
- Collaboration reminds me that my way to do things isn’t the only one. I get new lenses to look through by collaborating.
- It is a source of efficiency. I can get more done than when I’m on my own. I think there is something about shared accountability for a success that increases my productivity.
- It increases the opportunity for acknowledgment. There is never too much affirmation these days. Being validated helps to build energy and creativity.
- When I collaborate the times of being stuck are few and far between. Collaborators often say when something is uncertain or stalled, add another person in the mix. That often re-engages momentum!
- It’s like a non-stop laboratory for cooking up new things. The atmosphere of testing and trying out new perspectives is so rich!
- Work seems so much easier and less effortful in a collaboration that really works.
- When I’m in a successful collaboration, my faith in the generosity of spirit of people gets renewed.
- Collaboration gives me an opportunity to offer my ideas and thoughts to someone else. Giving things away is such a satisfying experience!
- And I’ve saved the best for last…Collaboration led me to Debbie Exner – I love this woman – an expert collaborator!